Dr Bob G Knight PhD has spent over 40 years focusing on issues affecting older adults, including coping with family caregiving, adapting to chronic illness, transitioning to post-retirement life, complicated bereavement and other stresses faced by older adults. He is board-certified in Geropsychology in the United States, where it is recognised as a specialty.
Dr Knight provides private medical consultation to manage and treat chronic illnesses and issues affecting older adults including:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias in the early stages
- Depression, anxiety and anger in family carers
- Coping with family caregiving
- Adapting to chronic illness
- Transitioning to post-retirement life
- Complicated bereavement
- Other stresses faced by older adults.
Dr Knight’s services are provided via:
- Private practice consultations
- Inpatient consultations at St. Vincent’s Hospital
- Telehealth to eligible patients in their home, GP rooms or nursing homes
- Nursing home & Private home visits for patients residing less than 10km from the Toowoomba CBD
Bob Knight PhD is a retired Professor of Psychology and Counselling at USQ Toowoomba. Prior to May 2015, for 28 years he was on the faculty of the University of Southern California School of Gerontology, a world leader in the study of ageing.
Dr Knight has published extensively in mental health and aging, including Psychotherapy with older adults (Sage, 3rd ed. 2004, available in French, Dutch, Japanese and Chinese translations). He co-authored with Nancy Pachana, Ph.D. (University of Queensland) Psychological assessment and therapy with older adults Oxford University Press (2015). His writing on psychotherapy with older adults includes development of the Contextual Adult Life Span Theory for Adapting Psychotherapy (CALTAP), which applies life span developmental principles to therapy with older adults.